Close
Close
Advanced Search

The Fantasy Poisoner's Handbook (Codex the First)Click to magnify
Quick Preview
/gs_flipbook/flip.php?xml=/demo_xml/117522.xml&w=500&h=324
Full‑size Preview
https://watermark.drivethrurpg.com/pdf_previews/117522-sample.pdf

The Fantasy Poisoner's Handbook (Codex the First)

ADD TO WISHLIST >
Watermarked PDF
$0.99

I was angry with my foe;

I told it not, my wrath did grow

What does it means to be a poisoner?  It has its roots in anger, long-standing grudges, hatred concealed behind a smile and a friendly word, and an absolute lack of forgiveness or charity.  Deception and guile are its trademarks.  It is, at its heart, a cowardly act, finding its treacherous completion in darkness, from a distance—preying upon a victim’s frailties while the poisoner lurks unnoticed in the shadows.

All of that sounds pretty bad, but none of it holds a candle to this, the most grievous sin of  a proper poison:  it’s darn near impossible to model in roleplaying games.  Poisons—meaningful poisons—shouldn’t be something that a couple die rolls can reduce to a hiccup.  But attempts to put a bit of kick back into poison often result in making them too lethal:  no one wants to see a favored character taken out by a “save-or-die” mechanic.  Even with a 95 percent chance of success, we’re left with a 5 percent chance that months of game time are about to go up in smoke (or rather, down in a pool of black ichor, but I digress).

This book is about poisoning not as a game mechanic, nor as an enhancement to attacks that, quite frankly, don’t need any more enhancements.  It is about plot devices.  Mysterious afflictions which carry an element of the unknown, which demand genuine urgency in finding a cause (and a cure).  Eight new, system-free poisons with notes on crafting, detecting, and treating them, and which send a very clear message:

I want you dead.  I’m coming for you.  And I know how to get to you.

Happy gaming, everybody.

pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif
 
 Customers Who Bought this Title also Purchased
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif
Reviews (1)
Discussions (0)
Reviews
Megan R. [Featured Reviewer]
-
August 3rd, 2013
Opening with a discourse on poisons in RPGs - the balance between being too deadly and just plain not scary enough, and their use as a plot device rather than as a combat option - this neat little product provides no less than EIGHT ingenious and well- [...]
Browse Categories
 Follow Your Favorites!
NotificationsSign in to get custom notifications of new products!















Product Information
Copy/paste disabled
Artist(s)
Pages
20
Publisher Stock #
FPH-01
File Size:
6.58 MB
Format
Original electronic
Scanned image
These products were created by scanning an original printed edition. Most older books are in scanned image format because original digital layout files never existed or were no longer available from the publisher.

For PDF download editions, each page has been run through Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software to attempt to decipher the printed text. The result of this OCR process is placed invisibly behind the picture of each scanned page, to allow for text searching. However, any text in a given book set on a graphical background or in handwritten fonts would most likely not be picked up by the OCR software, and is therefore not searchable. Also, a few larger books may be resampled to fit into the system, and may not have this searchable text background.

For printed books, we have performed high-resolution scans of an original hardcopy of the book. We essentially digitally re-master the book. Unfortunately, the resulting quality of these books is not as high. It's the problem of making a copy of a copy. The text is fine for reading, but illustration work starts to run dark, pixellating and/or losing shades of grey. Moiré patterns may develop in photos. We mark clearly which print titles come from scanned image books so that you can make an informed purchase decision about the quality of what you will receive.
pixel_trans.gif
Original electronic format
These ebooks were created from the original electronic layout files, and therefore are fully text searchable. Also, their file size tends to be smaller than scanned image books. Most newer books are in the original electronic format. Both download and print editions of such books should be high quality.
File Information
Watermarked PDF
Watermarked PDF

These PDF files are digitally watermarked to signify that you are the owner. A small message is added to the bottom of each page of the PDF containing your name and the order number of your purchase.

Warning: If any files bearing your information are found being distributed illegally, then your account will be suspended and legal action may be taken against you.

Here is a sample of a page from a watermarked title:

File Last Updated:
August 01, 2013
This title was added to our catalog on August 02, 2013.