The best simple OSR game out there under 25 pages.
- Fantasically detailed and simple character/npc creation system.
- Great for one-shots or short campaigns.
- A fantasic magic system for spell generation. Very open ended. Probably the best "Random Magic" system I've ever seen. Note this is not a Wild Magic system, but a way to generate spells before casting.
- Lots of great tables for use in Maze Rats and other games.
- Probably too random for a long campaign.
- Spell casters could use some more "spell slots" at level 1.
- I'd like to see a way for a caster to permantly learn a spell.
- Its impossible to directly create specific spell casting archtypes in the existing system. Its all random.
- Characters die way too easily. Consider doubling, perhaps trippling starting health when running a game that isn't a one shot.
- Needs more variety in starting equipment.
- New players to roleplaying games.
- Running Old School Adventures.
- One shots.
- Running when people are missing from the main game.
- West Marches style games.
- "Realistic" or Horror.
- When your tired of Vancian magic.
- Want to run something gritty.
Overall I can't wait to play or run Maze Rats. Really an amazing first product from the Author.
[4 of 5 Stars!]