Stinson spun the chair around to face the captain. “That’s it,” he said. “The tanks are empty.”
Brist nodded, her mouth dry. The deltaV readout on her station had already written that epitaph for her in its single glowing digit: zero.
“What are our chances?”
Stinson shrugged. “We’re coming in way too steep. The hull is rated to 4G; we’re going to pull six during re-entry. The heat shield is good to about 1500 degrees; we’re going to double that.
“So, either the hull will break apart and kill us, or the heat shield will fail and kill us or the G forces will crush our hearts and kill us.”
“You’re a real optimist,” Brist said. “Everything could hold together until we’re moving slowly enough to fire up the scoops and use the air as propellant for a landing.”
Stinson shrugged again, turning back to his pilot’s station. “Me,” he said, “I’m hoping the heat shield fails first. A quick death from 2500 degree plasma is far preferable to the lingering pain of your heart bursting from 100 kilos of ribs pressing down on it.”
Welcome to Stellar Wind, the ultimate in science fiction role-playing. If you've ever asked yourself the question "where's the science?" then Stellar Wind is for you. Stellar Wind is no-holds-barred, hard-core, meat and potatoes science SF, but done so well that if you know how to take a square root on your calculator, you know enough to play.
The Core Rules contain everything you need to run a Stellar Wind game or participate in one, from character generation to radiation to combat to bionics to the most realistic spacecraft design you'll find outside of NASA.
Download a copy today and finally plug that gap in your gaming library and gaming soul that says "Science Fiction."
- Quick character generation that combines the customization of points with the surprise of random die rolls.
- Twelve different backgrounds for your character, ranging from primitive-world barbarian to university research scientist.
- Six alien races with unique physiologies, psychologies and culture; no "humans in funny suits."
- Extensive and realistic equipment ranging from rope to spaceplanes.
- Detailed information on who you need to hire to crew a spacecraft and what it will cost you.
- Detailed rules on travel ranging from navigating city streets on a high-tech world to plying a submersible through liquid methane oceans.
- Rules on environmental hazards that cover everything from radiation to dealing with dangerous native life.
- Combat rules for situations only possible with science fiction. Want to know what happens when you throw a punch in low gravity, or fire a pistol in free fall? Stellar Wind tells you.
- Complete rules on robots including designing units and the impact of robots on society.
- Detailed rules on cybernetics and bioengineering. Learn how to create custom organisms, or how to replace your legs with an all-terrain propulsion system.
- Space travel rules based in physics. DeltaV, drive exhaust damage, propellant requirements, acceleration, weightlessness and spin gravity. Stellar Wind makes space travel a unique experience for your players, not just a trip on an "ocean liner in space."
- Spacecraft design rules based on rocket science without the complexity of rocket science.
- World generation rules that let you create everything from kuiper belt objects to worlds with chlorine atmospheres.
- And, finally, for the hard-core types who eat math equations for breakfast, an appendix of optional advanced rules that let you see the math behind the game.
Like our facebook page for the latest news and to offer your input on what you'd like to see us doing.
Stellar Wind on Facebook
Publisher's note: To avoid a frivolous, but potentially costly lawsuit, we have changed the name of our product to Stellar Wind. We've also taken this opportunity to optimize the PDF and correct some typographical errors that got past our editing team. There has been no substantive change to the rule contents. It's the same great game, with just a minor name change.
Although the threatened lawsuit was without merit, we felt it more important to devote our resources to bringing you great products rather than on litigation.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and, as always, appreciate your business.
Higher Dimension Games.